Flu vaccinations for University staff
Posted on behalf of: Internal Communications
Last updated: Thursday, 2 February 2023
Winter is fast approaching and flu season will soon be with us. Experts are predicting that there will be a lot of flu around this winter as there is more mixing than during the pandemic, allowing the virus to circulate.
Many of you will be eligible for, or will have already had, your free flu vaccine. To encourage those of you who are not eligible for a free vaccine, to protect yourself and others, the University has agreed to pay for this. Staff are welcome to pay for their vaccine and then reclaim the cost from the University through expenses. See more information below on how to reclaim the costs.
The flu vaccine is given free on the NHS to adults who:
- are 50 and over (including those who will be 50 by 31 March 2023)
- have certain health conditions
- are pregnant
- are in long-stay residential care
- receive a carer's allowance, or are the main carer for an older or disabled person who may be at risk if you get sick
- live with someone who is more likely to get a severe infection due to a weakened immune system, such as someone living with HIV, someone who has had a transplant, or is having certain treatments for cancer, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis
If you're eligible for the free flu vaccine, it's likely you can get the coronavirus (COVID-19) seasonal booster.
How to claim your flu jab costs back
See the overall guidance on how to make an expenses claim. When you are claiming your expenses you will need to select the 'staff wellbeing’ code on the system, followed by your subproject code. If you don’t know your subproject code please ask your line manager or school administrator.
Claims must be made within three months, accompanied by the receipt. If you have already paid to have a private flu vaccination in the last three months you can claim back the cost with a receipt or proof of purchase.
University PCARD holders can make the purchase using their PCARD and you are allowed to make the purchase on behalf of other staff members, retaining a receipt or proof of purchase.
If you are eligible for a free flu vaccination please ensure you book that way rather than paying for a private vaccination.
If you need any support or help, please contact the Finance Service Desk.