Research Opportunities Fund: open for applications
By: Carly Brownbridge
Last updated: Tuesday, 20 January 2015
The Research Opportunities Fund is one of the schemes managed by Sussex Research. It is designed to provide funds for faculty to stimulate new interdisciplinary ideas, themes and synergies. It will provide initial support for research programmes amongst researchers from different disciplines within Sussex and potentially with key external collaborators.
Activities could for instance take the form of workshops designed to engender new research collaborations (rather than as one-off events in their own right), visits to or from key collaborators, research centre collaborations and the preparation of large external grant applications.
The activities that the fund supports are expected to initiate a programme of research leading to substantive joint funding proposals and publications enhancing Sussex’s research reputation and driving up research income.
This fund is not intended to underwrite conference organisation, seminar series, or small research expenses which would normally be funded from a personal research allowance provided by your School.
Funding could be used for:
- Preparation for large grant (over £500k) applications; for example through the short-term employment of a research assistant or associate tutor, interview coaching or stakeholder engagement;
- Developing a network to respond to a specific interdisciplinary funding call;
- Visits for Sussex faculty to engage with key collaborators in the development of joint proposals;
- Identifying new interdisciplinary research questions and problems that have the potential to shape future funding agendas;
- Development of new interdisciplinary research programmes through collaboration between two or more Research Centres.
The maximum amount that can be applied for is £2,000. Funding will normally be for a period of up to six months and in exceptional circumstances up to one year.
There is no deadline for this scheme. Applications can be made at any time and should be emailed to Debbie Foy-Everett D.Foy-Everett@sussex.ac.uk
To discuss ideas and potential applications to this or any of the other Sussex Research initiatives, contact Professor Lester at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debbie Foy-Everett at email@example.com
Further details about the scheme and information on how to apply is available here.